Fortunately Lee Thomson (he smiles, you know) has a roundup of other people’s thoughts on the festival which means that I don’t have to.
I believe some comedic pictures of the event may also be available from Jason Arnopp. The majority of them, sadly, are on facebook, and I find myself completely unable to recollect his Facebook Name at the moment.
A few random thoughts:
- Next year, I’m going to take first class on the train, and I think you should too – it’s only an extra tenner or so if you buy a week in advance, and will make the trip so much nicer.
- If the screenwriting agencies don’t show up at their promised sessions, help any other people who arrive by giving them good advice, then escape by leaping through the window. You will receive biscuits for your kindness.
- Croquet is a vicious, vicious game.
- The chances of being able to find anything vaguely resembling a Martini within the vicinity of the festival range somewhere between slim and none.
- We don’t do catchphrases. There’s no evidence for that.
- Room parties are a fine invention. Though you should probably try to keep the noise down to less than, say, jet-engine levels. Or the hotel duty manager may swing by and politely ask you to keep it down.
- Tony Jordan really is a lovely man.
- The ways of The Dark Arrow are both mysterious and disturbing.
- Networking is not going up to the most famous person in the room and asking them to read your script. Networking is actually about going and having fun with your friends who work in the same industry.
I haven’t laughed as loudly, as long, or as often for a long time.
I’ll be there next year. I hope you will too.
7 Replies to “Screenwriters Festival”
The laughter was inescapable, was it not? I’ll be back next year, but will certainly see you before then.
Too bloody right you will.
Don’t make me send the giant floating hand after you.
I’ll ACTUALLY be there next year.
I’m not making it four effing years in a row I miss out FFS. Plus the hubster has already put in his damn diary, that I will keep in the cutlery drawer and show to him over this next year to ensure he won’t forget again that he PROMISED. Plus also by my reckoning I should be moderately in the black rather than completely in the red by this time next year. Phew.
Not staying near your room tho, you noisy boyz. You smell too. Nothing personal you understand, just a simple fact about males.
It’s true, I do smell.
I smell great.
Honestly Luce – he’s like pine. He’s summer in a man-shaped bowl.
I’d love to be there,it sounds like an amazing festival! Not sure if I’ll be able to afford it though 🙁 Do you think it’s a festival more geared towards new talent of a certain standard? I mean… I’m just starting out, so I’d hate to be out of my depth… Maybe I should wait until 2010…
No, you’ll be fine. There were all sorts of people there, and everyone’s welcome.
If you can’t afford the fees proper, volunteer and you’ll get in for free. Can’t beat that price.